Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct Consumer Guide
Registered migration agents are skilled people who must meet professional standards, follow the Code of Conduct and maintain up-to-date knowledge of migration law and procedure.
Your agent must be registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA), which ensures that only suitable persons are registered to provide immigration assistance. To check if a person is registered, visit OMARA’s website: www.mara.gov.au.
Migration Agents and the Code of Conduct
The Code of Conduct ensures that your registered migration agent will:
- be honest with you about your chances of securing a visa;
- keep you informed about the progress of your application and any changes that may affect it;
- be contactable during business hours and tell you if they change their contact details;
- act within the law, your best interests and protect your privacy;
- declare any interest they have that may affect your application and not act for you if there is a conflict;
- provide you with a written statement — before starting work — of the services to be provided, the estimated fees and other costs;
- charge a reasonable fee and, if you pay in advance, keep this in a separate bank account;
- provide you with an invoice listing the actual services completed and the amount payable;
- provide timely and correct advice and tell you in writing about the result of your application as soon as possible.
If you experience a problem with your registered migration agent you should try and resolve it with them. For help, contact OMARA. Making a complaint to OMARA will not affect your visa application.
Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA)
Under Australian law, OMARA:
- assesses and decides applications for registration as a migration agent;
- approves continuing professional development activities for agents;
- monitors the conduct of registered migration agents; and
- investigates complaints against registered migration agents and will discipline them when appropriate.
OMARA cannot help you with your visa application or sponsorship, or order a refund of your fees from your registered migration agent.
More information can be found at www.mara.gov.au:
Check if a person is registered at MARA Website